Wednesday, November 3, 2010

A little about Co-washes


This morning I decided to co-wash my hair  because it was dry and stiff due to my [over] excitement to use my Eco-Styler gel (I will have a review about that up before the week is over).


Co-washing is when you wash your hair with conditioner. The process is the same, the big difference is there is no lather up and the co-wash is supposed to leave your hair feeling softer. 

So if you have extremely dry/hard hair, this could be one of the things you do to soften it up. I washed my hair in the shower today and had it as hot as I could stand it (not burning hot) to open up my follicles. Then I put the products in my hair and put my hair in a plastic cap for 20 minutes. I did not add heat to this treatment/co-wash, but if you want to penetrate the hair more do so. I washed out the conditioner with the coldest water I could stand because cold water helps to close the follicles of your hair and gives the hair a nice shine and a softer feel.


When I co-washed my hair today I used:

  1. Smooth as Silk Moisture Conditioner Giovanni  
  2. Cholesterol with Tea Tree Oil Organics 
  3. A couple drops of Vegetable Glycerin Now Solutions
  4. A couple drops of Castor oil Heritage Products
[Castor oil, Cholesterol and Giovanni Conditioner can be purchased in stores. I had to order my Vegetable Glycerin online.]

You can use as much as you think you need to cover all of your new growth. For myself this is usually a lot because my hair is very thick.
Its hard to see my new growth, but its there.... believe me
If your hair is thick like that, sectioning your hair into four parts may help you reach all the areas you cant reach conditioning it in one bunch. Sectioning your hair not only helps you to spread the product evenly through the hair, but helps lessen tangles which then helps maximize growth! {don't we all want that?}

After my hair was washed I put in my protective style for the day (a hair net) ad let it air dry. Using less heat is one of the biggest things you can do to help your hair grow. Too much heat can cause a lot of damage so allowing the hair to air dry is saving it from heat, especially if you flat iron your hair frequently.

1 comments:

Denise said...

Love it!!! wow you are getting to be really blog savvy, looks like you got it all figured out!

Post a Comment